Job Opportunity: Part-time Youth Ministry Leader
The First Presbyterian Church of New Vernon is seeking an enthusiastic, passionate role model to provide part-time leadership and expand participation in our small but mighty youth ministry. We are looking for a leader to love and nurture our youth, engage them in transforming relationships, and help cultivate lifelong habits of worship and service. Our youth have a heart for mission outreach, and we have a core of committed adult volunteers. Come and be part of a welcoming church family where we don’t just count kids—we make every kid count!
Our part-time schedule is flexible to accommodate other vocational commitments, although Sunday participation and weekend availability will be essential. The position entails a weekly commitment of 15-20 hours per week during the school year and 5-10 hours per week during the summer months. The Youth Ministry Leader is expected to be present each Sunday during the school calendar year teaching Sunday school and/or supporting the children’s ministry. Will also attend monthly evening Christian Education Committee meetings and monthly church staff meetings.
- Develop a relational ministry and provide leadership to middle school and high school youth programs
- Direct and lead high school youth programs and service projects including retreats and an annual Sr. high mission trip
- Develop and implement a middle school ministry
- Provide support for and assist with the annual 8th grade confirmation class
- Maintain roster and participation information
- Communicate regularly and effectively with youth and parents via email, text, website, Facebook, regular phone calls, etc.
- Recruit and develop adult volunteers to assist with youth ministry
- Develop personal, caring relationships with youth; serve as a role model
- Minister to the needs of youth in a setting of friendship and caring
- Share in the leadership and vision of the children’s ministry
- Assist in leading and coordinating family events
- Seek opportunities to collaborate with other local church youth groups
- Seek ways to continually integrate the youth program with other areas of the church
- Assist in worship services as needed and plan and direct special youth-related services
- Perform other Youth Ministry tasks as assigned by the Pastor
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will possess:
- A love of youth and a concern for their spiritual and emotional development
- Christian faith and values
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 2 years’ experience in youth leadership or teaching
- Biblical knowledge and adherence to PC(USA) teaching and theology
- Program development experience
- Maturity and the ability to show deference and develop relationships with parents
- Proven communication skills and the ability to relate well to children, parents and volunteers
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Proven technological and social media skills
- A sense of humor
- Musical abilities a plus
If you have a calling to help young people grow in their walk with God, please send your resume and cover letter to the Office Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary commensurate with experience.